Friday, October 2, 2009

Another Fabulous Performance Opportunity!


So this dream I had of going back to school and getting back into music and singing and performing just gets better and better. I was selected to be in the Vocal Jazz Ensemble again this year and we worked our tails off in order to be ready for the happenings this week. Not only did we put on another Vocal Jazz workshop for the High Schools in the Wyoming, Nebraska and Colorado areas, but we performed with an amazing group called the New York Voices. If you like jazz you MUST look them up on their website or on www.darmonmeader.com (he is one of the members who does all their arranging.) We did a Beatles tune by ourselves where I had a solo vocal part. I LOVE this song because my sister and I used to listen to it off my parents vinyl collection....it's "In My Life" (from the Rubber Soul album) and we sang "I Could Write A Book" and "The World Keeps You Waiting" with the New York Voices. They gave us master classes on blending, tone color, scatting, improvisation, etc. Most students pay hundreds of dollars for an opportunity to work with a professional group like this.....but UW just received HUGE grants for these types of events and I am so thrilled to be a part of it.

I wish I could post a video but it is against copyright laws. Bummer. Anyway, I am so glad I am involved in music again. It just fills my soul and makes me so happy. Whether it be classical, jazz, opera, contemporary, etc. it just inspires me. I hope my girls learn to love music also and that I keep them culturally enriched through out their lives with this kind of exposure. If any of you have played an instrument, sang with a choir, danced a recital or just supported the arts etc......GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. What an experience! I'm so glad you got to be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete